Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

Special Treat

November 10th- Special Treat!

I can't write this title without thinking of my favorite Parks and Rec episode. TREAT YO SELF! Hopefully, you know what I'm talking about. If not- Watch this clip! You will not be disappointed.



But seriously, it's important to reward yourself for all your hard work, especially when it comes to running. Training for races can be super taxing, both emotionally and physically. Rewarding yourself help keeps your motivation from wavering and can keep training interesting.

My last 20 miler I knew would be pretty tough, with warm weather and major hills. I was not excited about that run but I booked massage for later that afternoon. It gave me just enough motivation to push through those last miles knowing in the next few hours I got a spa day.

Special treats don't have to be lavish or expensive but they are necessary. Sometimes a restorative yoga class can do the trick for me after an intense week. Instead of additional training, restorative yoga focuses on relaxing and resting poses. It's a great way to de-stress and stretch it out.

Of course we can always bake something amazing for a special treat once in a while. We burn so many calories running, we deserve a taste of heaven. Tonight I baked good old fashion chocolate chip cookies! Wine and homemade cookies... my dream team

I modified the recipe from Martha Stewart's Soft-Baked Chocolate Cookies.




INGREDIENTS

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks


DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat sugar, and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture, beating just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
Drop dough by tablespoons onto two baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies are no longer shiny, 10 to 12 minutes.

Hope you had a great Monday!


1 comment: