Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

I am an Ultra-Marathoner!

I did it! I did it! I survived my first 50k and hardest race I have ever run. I woke up this morning in disbelief that I had actually run the race,  but as soon as I got out of bed and felt soreness all over my body, I quickly snapped back to reality. Yes, it happened. Yes, I’m in pain but the good kind of pain that makes you proud of your accomplishment.

Post race happiness

I ran the beginning of the race with my coworker, Jon-Marc. He was the one that persuaded me to do a 50k. Unfortunately, we got separated around mile 13 when one of his old ankle injuries starting acting up.


My work bestie, Bae, came out to cheer us on a take sweet race photos, It was so nice having her support while I was freaking out before the race. I actually stole these two photos from her. :)



I’ll try and give a quick race recap; although I’m afraid I blacked most of it out. I mentally broke the race up from aid station to aid station so the 50k would become a series of 4-6 mile runs.

 Let's take a look at the course map again or reference.


From the start to about mile 8 the trail was pretty technical. The surfaces were rocky and hilly and I constantly felt another runner close on my heels. Most the trail was single track and I was sandwiched in between the person in front and behind me. My pace was a little under 11 minute miles... not fast but speedier than I would have liked considering I had such a long way to go.  I was very mindful of the surfaces and constantly trying not to fall. We even went over a stream and I had to hop rocks to avoid the water…such a different experience than road races. 

By mile 10 my body was definitely feeling it. When I run marathons I don’t even like to feel that I have started running until the halfway mark. I knew I was in for a rough race. Luckily from 8 to 13, we ran on dirt paths that were somewhat flat without too many technical surfaces.

When I reached aid station 3, everyone was cheering for me and a super nice volunteer grabbed my fuel belt bottles to refill them. I couldn't get over how sweet all the volunteers were and how happy they were to be out there supporting the course. The aid stations were stocked with water, GU, bananas, soda, PB&J sandwiches and candy. At that point in the race I was nervous to deviate from my fueling strategy and just took my GU with plain old water.

Right after the aid station we started the climb up Raptor Ridge. I gave it a good effort and start running but quickly told myself to power walk and conserve. It started to get so steep that I really don’t think I could have run quicker than a walk pace anyway. By the time we reach the summit (760 ft.) I was feeling tired but the downhill gave me a rush and I was happy to start running again. Miles 15-19 were easy from what I remember. At this point I could see all the fast elite runners pass me on their way back. Everyone was really friendly shouting “Good Job!” or “Keep it up!”. It was definitely a nice boost along the way.

Aid station 4 was at the turn around. It started to get a little warm. We were out in a rural part of San Diego that I had never seen before. It almost seemed like we were in a different state. Somewhere around mile 22 the exhaustion settled in. I could hardly believe how tired I was. I think I underestimated how trail running can zap all your energy. I knew I would be heading up Raptor Ridge again and told myself to continue running until I started the climb. This time up the Ridge I was not power walking. I was definitely just walking. The climb felt like it would never end. A few mountain bikers passed me and cheered me on. I smiled politely but secretly wanted to push them off their bikes. I was definitely in the "bite me stage". I was so happy when I reached the submit but the run down hurt a bit. My legs were shot but I knew the aid station would be at the bottom. 

At the aid station I ate a PB&J and drank some coke (slowly). I've never tasted anything so amazing. It was exactly what I needed to finish the run. The rest of the run was a struggle... I wont sugar coat it. My strategy was run to the next runner. Most the them were walking. I'd run up to them, walk, chat for a bit and then journey on to the next runner. When I finally saw the finish line, I started to cry. I've never been that exhausted or happy to finish. The medal felt amazing around my neck. I felt so accomplished. I had finally concurred something I thought was impossible. I cried again when I saw my boyfriend and hugged him so hard.

Post race, all I wanted to do was eat In-N-Out. I craved a cheeseburger and a chocolate shake. We drove straight there and I thought I went to heaven.



All in all, it was a great race, a great day, and I'm so happy its over!

I think I'll stick with marathons for a while. No offense, ultras. :)

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog....First, AWESOME job! What an achievement. I loved your race recap. Trail races definitely leave me extremely sore. You might change your mind about ultras after awhile....I'm training for my first 50 miler and I'm terrified even though the race is 5 months away! I had a similar experience with Coke in a previous trail marathon, I know exactly what you mean. I was dealing with extreme nausea and then came into an aid station at mile 16 that had Coke...it was like unicorn tears. I was magically better. That post race meal looks glorious, you certainly deserved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sooo much!! Oh my goodness- a 50 miler! You're incredible. I think I could be coaxed into another 50k with better training. I basically just trained for the Chicago Marathon and tacked this on a few weeks later.

    Good luck with your training! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete