Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Bank of America Chicago Marathon

This past weekend I ran the amazing Chicago Marathon.

My boyfriend and me at the Expo. Course Map behind us :)

I have been very sporadic with posting. Mostly because I feel sort of embarrassed sharing my thoughts but I'm trying put that behind me. I know I'm not a fast runner but for some reason I've fallen head over Asics with this sport. I love racing against myself. It's about making me a faster and stronger person.

The Chicago Marathon was a PR for me... finally!
Race outfit ready to go!
Ashley and me getting into our corrals 
Post race- Medal in hand


The last two marathons, Nike Women's Marathon- 2013 and San Diego Rock n Roll-2014, I hadn't PRed. Looking back, I wasn't putting in enough effort to achieve a PR. Sure, I was making all my long runs but I wasn't actively working on speed work or practicing great nutrition. That all changed this season. 

My coach instructed me to ease into the first mile and then run a consistent 10:45 pace, picking it up at the last two miles. My race goal was 4:40 and I ended up with 4:52. 


As you can see, I tried! Keep in mind there was a potty break (number 2) around mile 18. My Garmin died around mile 20 (not that it was being very reliable under bridges and with the tall buildings). I knew my last 10k was rough. Mentally I checked out. I felt like I was swimming up stream. So many runners were stopping and in my way. I just didn't have it in me to fight anymore to pass them. Although I am happy for a PR, those last split times are eating me up inside.

But as usual, I'm moving onto the next exciting challenge- a trail 50k!



See you in a few years (or maybe next year), Chicago!

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, I get excited when you have a new post! Chicago is a magical place and I hope we both go back someday. Wouldn't have survived the weekend without you. I have a good feeling about 2015 :)

    ReplyDelete